Monday, May 2, 2011

VIDEO: NYC celebrates death of bin Laden

I was near Times Square when the news that America's most wanted had died. At first I thought it was just another guess by some expert that he was probably already gone because of his known medical problems; but then I read that he'd actually been killed.

Turning on my laptop and looking for a live video feed, I eventually landing on Al Jazeera, which confirmed the messages lighting up my phone - 'Osama Bin Laden is dead' - killed by United States special forces in a small operation in Pakistan.

VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKVCdNMzTEo&feature=player_embedded#at=16

Venturing into the street, a crowd had begun to gather near a window with a large television, on which US President Barrack Obama appeared and confirmed the news.
The last time I was in this place when a major news story broke was when this same President had been elected, but tonight things were a different form of triumphant.

As the crowds gathered and people began to cheer and sing, I couldn't help but feel a sense of nervousness about being in this place. Although America's great enemy was finally dead, he suddenly seemed more alive than he had ever been.
Peter Dean Rickards is a Jamaican photographer/videographer

No comments:

Post a Comment